The year 2020 brought with it many surprises, including a pandemic that shook the whole world. A virus, COVID-19 spread uncontrollably throughout the world leading to sickness, mortalities, and border-closing.
Nations were quarantined and communities restricted from leaving their homes. The massive illness and dramatic consequences it had on the health and wellbeing of people made COVID-19 a horror infection. This led to the rise in stress and fear across different parts of the world especially among vulnerable sub-populations like the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.
It's been almost a year and the pandemic is still roaming everywhere, jumping from one wave to yet another. All the associated stress and fear should be controlled to prevent its devastating effect on people, both mentally and physically. Now, more than ever, people should stay calm during this crisis by considering using cannabidiol: CBD oil.
For many years, cannabidiol has been known as a therapeutic cannabinoid or cannabis compound found in hemp plants. It is deemed to be entirely safe for personal use, has no psychoactive effects, and no known health-threatening side effects.
In this post, you'll learn how to use CBD to stay calm during the COVID-19 crisis. You will be guided on how to properly use, what dose you should take, and the different consumption methods. This article also includes tips on choosing the best CBD products to combat stress and anxiety.
CBD Oil As Stress Buster
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, CBD products have already been spreading uncontrollably everywhere around the globe. This natural component has promising anti-anxiety effects to help people cope better with stressful situations.
CBD oil comes in small bottles and in various types, such as full-spectrum CBD oil in bottles of 300-, 600-, 1200-, and 3000-milligrams. Specially formulated full-spectrum CBD oil is extracted using pure carbon dioxide or supercritical extraction method.
Full-spectrum CBD oil means that the product contains all other plant compounds, such as terpenes (responsible for the CBD aroma) and cannabinoids, like tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, in trace values. The benefits of utilizing full-spectrum CBD products are they allow you to take advantage of the entourage effect. The THC content of full-spectrum CBD products is usually less than 0.03%.
CBD oil can be taken orally by applying a few drops on the tongue using a dropper, or, by mixing it with your food or drink. Most unflavored CBD oil drops have little to no taste. The purity of the oil is essential for its superior quality so, it's crucial to check the listing carefully before buying the product online. You also need to check the label if you are buying from a local dispensary or drug store.
Here are the important things you have to check when buying CBD oil:
- Third-party lab certification: Make sure that you're buying a CBD product that has been lab-tested. It is best to buy CBD oil that contains full-spectrum CBD or cannabinoids. Tests show that only 31 percent of CBD products are properly labeled2.
- Made of natural ingredients: Only buy CBD oil products that are made of 100% natural ingredients, like CBD oil and hemp seed oil. The latter is rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids. Also, hemp seed oil is a nutritious superfood that can support and boost the effects of your healthy diet.
- Organic and non-GMO: Choose organic CBD oil that do not contain preservatives, additives, and are not genetically modified organisms. The label should state non-GMO (genetic makeup not altered or modified in the laboratory).
Immediately Decrease Stress Levels Using CBD Tincture
CBD tinctures are a convenient and popular form of CBD. These CBD products are highly concentrated, delivering cannabidiol throughout the body faster than other variants, like edibles or capsules. CBD tinctures are easier to break down by the body than other CBD products.
CBD oil is extracted from hemp plants yielding a powerfully concentrated oil or tincture, which can be easily ingested causing rapid effects. For immediate stress relief, apply a few drops of CBD tincture under the tongue or through the sublingual route for fast blood absorption via the capillaries of the oral mucosa.
Here are ways to apply CBD tincture in order to help an instantaneous decrease in your stress or anxiety levels:
- Shake the bottle before use: This step is important to ensure that the CBD tincture is well mixed to deliver a consistent CBD amount for each serving.
- Proper dosing: A standard serving is one milliliter or a full dropper, which provides 25 milligrams of CBD. You can also compute the amount of CBD per one milliliter serving by the total CBD amount in milligrams to the bottle size in milliliters. For instance, a 750-milligram CBD bottle divided by 30 milliliters would provide 25 milligrams of CBD per milliliter or per full dropper.
- Administer CBD tincture sublingually: Using a dropper, withdraw and dispense the right amount of CBD sublingually or under the tongue. Hold the CBD tincture in your mouth, before swallowing, for about 60 to 90 seconds. By doing so, cannabidiol enters the small capillaries in the oral mucosa for immediate stress relief.
- Repeat the procedure as needed: Follow the same procedure of administering CBD tincture sublingually throughout the day or as necessary.
Quit Smoking cigarettes And start Vaping or smoking CBD Flower
Because of stress and anxiety, many people resort to unhealthy practices. One of these is smoking, which is harmful to your respiratory system due to nicotine, tar and other chemicals present in tobacco.
Now, and with the spread of COVID-19, we can no longer afford to weaken our body and compromise our immune system. So, resorting to unhealthy habits and taking medications with a long list of side effects is definitely not the wise thing to do. This is one of the many reasons that you should be encouraged to quit smoking and start living a healthier lifestyle.
If you're planning on going smoke-free and are having trouble doing it, vaporization is the safer alternative. With vaporization technology, you can benefit from vaping CBD flowers instead of tobacco. It involves heating the plant itself at a low temperature using an herb vaporizer instead of an open flame. Using a vaporizer, you can inhale CBD in vapor form rather than smoke.
Through CBD inhalation, cannabidiol contained in the hemp flower enters the bloodstream and reaches the brain quickly, providing fast-acting stress relief. Because this process avoids combustion, you are reducing the formation of potentially harmful irritants normally found in the smoke.
Here are ways you can use a vaporizer when taking CBD flower:
- Warm up the unit: Vaping devices, specifically vaporizers, need to be warmed up for about a minute or two. This process begins as soon as you turn on the vaping device. Most vape units have an indicator light to alert you once it reaches the desired temperature.
- Load the chamber: The CBD flower should be finely ground before you load it inside the vape chamber. This will allow heat penetration in the material, thus activating the CBD and other cannabinoids efficiently. It's a good idea to buy a vaporizer that comes with a grinder, or you may choose to purchase a grinder separately. Never grind CBD flower by hand as it may decrease their potency of the components due to the amount lost of cannabinoid-rich flower sticking to your fingers.
- Dosing: As a start, 0.25 and 0.5 grams of ground CBD flower is good. Make sure to seal the vape device properly after loading the finely ground CBD into the chamber.
- Adjust temperature: You have two options when it comes to temperature adjustment: fixed temperature and custom control. Variable temperature settings include low, medium, and high temperatures. This makes the vaping experience to be customizable. The commonly used temperature ranges from 360 to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures below 350 degrees Fahrenheit produce a mild effect that is suitable for inexperienced users, whereas temperatures above 400 degrees Fahrenheit produce a heavier effect that is recommended for severe anxiety symptom relief.
- Vaping or inhalation: Upon device activation and warm-up, you can start vaping or inhaling through the mouthpiece. Pace yourself when vaping to attain the desired symptom-relieving effect. As soon as you feel better, stop it. Keep in mind that vaping is the fastest route to deliver the CBD component to your body.
- Completion: The quantity of CBD you are consuming will gradually decrease with vaporization because the vaporizer removes the oils from the flower. The green flowers turn to brown during use. If the vapor that the device emits becomes thin or loses flavor, you should load additional ground CBD flowers if you did not get the desired effects yet. Any leftover CBD flower after vaping should be discarded or used as edibles as its quality will be linked to how much you vaped it.
Experiment With CBD Edibles To Reduce Stress
CBD edibles can help you feel better with all the stay-at-home orders you are going through. It will surely make staying at home a lot more fun because you can create your own recipes with all the free time you have in hands. If you love to cook or bake goodies, you can infuse CBD oil to help reduce your stress. This new hobby can also boost your morale and make you mentally healthier and less anxious.
If you are not a fan for cooking or baking, you can buy CBD gummies, CBD cookies, and other CBD edibles online or in local dispensaries. Eating a few CBD gummies can relieve your stress within 30 to 45 minutes upon ingestion.
During this health crisis, using CBD products is a great way to stay calm and cope better with all the fear and anxiety circulating around. You can use CBD oil or CBD tincture by orally route; or, take it under the tongue or sublingually for immediate results. Vaping CBD flowers is another option, which is a safer alternative to cigarette smoking.
A fun way to cope with boredom during the COVID-19 pandemic, while staying at home, is by making CBD snacks. You can create your own CBD edible recipes or find them online. CBD is not just for pain relief or to control anxiety; it is also a great stress buster to keep you calm during this pandemic.
1Mental Health and COVID-19. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2020, from https://www.who.int/teams/mental-health-and-substance-use/covid-19
2Bonn-Miller MO, Loflin MJE, Thomas BF, Marcu JP, Hyke T, Vandrey R. Labeling Accuracy of Cannabidiol Extracts Sold Online. JAMA. 2017;318(17):1708–1709. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.11909